Amarillo Chiropractors In Primary Prevention
Chiropractor in Amarillo weighs in on the topic
The reason this blog exists is simply that a minority of Amarillo chiropractors make unsubstantiated claims that they can affect parts of the human condition simply by adjusting bones. For example, I have heard stories of chiropractors claiming to cure cancer. Some say that a person needs no vaccinations if they have their spines regularly adjusted.
Being a chiropractor in Amarillo, it's important to note that these claims simply are not supported by the body of evidence and should be discounted as unsubstantiated claims.
Effect of chiropractic treatment on primary or early secondary prevention: a systematic review with a pedagogic approach” by Goncalves, et. al and published in Chiropractic and Manual Therapies in 2018.
Why They Did It
The chiropractic vitalistic approach to the concept of ‘subluxation’ as a cause of disease lacks both biological plausibility and possibly proof of validity. Nonetheless, some chiropractors purport to prevent disease in general through the use of chiropractic care. Evidence of its effect is needed to be allowed to continue this practice. The objective of this systematic review was, therefore, to investigate if there is any evidence that spinal manipulations/chiropractic care can be used in primary prevention (PP) and/or early secondary prevention in diseases other than musculoskeletal conditions.
How They Did It·
- As the title gives away, it’s a systematic review so dependable information. Systematic reviews lie at the top of the research pyramid if you recall. ·
- They searched PubMed, Embase, Index to Chiropractic Literature, and specialized chiropractic journals from inception all the way up to October 2017 ·
- For the search, they used terms like chiropractic, subluxation, prevention, wellness, spinal manipulation, and mortality. ·
- They included anything mentioning the study of the clinical preventative effect or benefit from manipulative therapy or chiropractic treatment in relation to primary prevention or the treatment of physical disease in general. Anything other than musculoskeletal disorders. ·
- Population studies were also eligible·
- Checklists were designed in relation to the description of the reviewed articles and some basic quality criteria.
What They Found·
- Of the 13.099 titles scrutinized, 13 articles were included (eight clinical studies and five population studies). ·
- These studies dealt with various disorders of public health importance such as diastolic blood pressure, blood test immunological markers, and mortality. ·
- Only two clinical studies could be used for data synthesis. None showed any effect of spinal manipulation/chiropractic treatment.
Wrap It Up
The authors concluded by saying, “We found no evidence in the literature of an effect of chiropractic treatment in the scope of PP or early secondary prevention for disease in general. Chiropractors have to assume their role as evidence-based clinicians and the leaders of the profession must accept that it is harmful to the profession to imply public health importance in relation to the prevention of such diseases through manipulative therapy/chiropractic treatment.”
- Goncalves G, L.S., Leboeuf-Yde,, Effect of chiropractic treatment on primary or early secondary prevention: a systematic review with a pedagogic approach. Chiropr Man Therap, 2018.
Dr. Jeff Williams, DC, FIANM is a Fellowship-trained Neuromusculoskeletal specialist and chiropractor in Amarillo, TX. As an Amarillo chiropractor, Dr. Williams treats chronic pain, disc pain, low back pain, neck pain, whiplash injuries, and more. Dr. Williams is also the host of The Chiropractic Forward Podcast. Through the podcast, Dr. Williams teaches fellow chiropractors and advocates weekly for evidence-based, patient-centered practice through current and relevant research. If you have any questions for Dr. Williams, feel free to email at [email protected]
Learn more about Dr. Williams and his practice at https://www.amarillochiropractor.com. Dr. Williams's full-time Amarillo chiropractic practice is Creek Stone Integrated Care at 3501 SW 45th St., Ste. T, Amarillo, TX 79109
- amarillo south chiropractic
- chiropractic in amarillo tx
- dr keister amarillo
- amarillo tx doctors
- dr brister amarillo
- pain doctors amarillo tx
- car wreck doctor amarillo
- dr errington amarillo
- dr paullus amarillo
- dr daneshfar amarillo
- spine doctor amarillo tx
- dr ehle chiropractic
- pain doctor amarillo
- dr hand chiropractor amarillo
- chiropractor in amarillo
- amarillo chiropractor
- amarillo chiropractors
Jeff S Williams, DC, FIANM, DABFP